Monday, November 3, 2008

Brain Fart!


I was recently having a conversation with someone at a gathering I attended, and for the life of me -- I had absolutely no idea who that person was! I faintly smiled at this lady and before I knew it, we were having a conversation! Her face looked so familiar and I knew that I met her somewhere before, but I could not put my finger on it! She obviously knew a lot about me because she was asking me about my parents and my job. Still…I had no idea who she was. To avoid making her feel bad, I just went along with our conversation and prayed that she didn’t notice that I was actually completely lost, while in conversation. In the back of my mind, I was hoping that she would ask me if I remembered her name. That would’ve been the ultimate embarrassing moment for me!

I’m not sure if my ability not to recall names is part of the infamous aging process, but I really did not like that I could remember a person’s name! Is there a way I can remember names to avoid looking like such a dork next time I get a mild case of a brain fart? Help please!!!

4 comments:

Bon said...

If someone is next to you, you say "this is my husband Floyd" then wait. Floyd will shake her hand and she'll say something like, "Hi, I'm Sandy". Viola! It doesn't always work, and I'm sooo bad at remembering names too so I just say "hey girl!" or "what's up bro". And then my kids will say out loud, "mommy who's that?" BUSTED.

plumeria*girl said...

Unfortunately, Floyd wasn't with me at this gathering so I was the lone ranger. I smiled and asked how she was, how are things going with her and that was it. I didn't want to get too much into conversation, but it worked out as she did 80% of the talking.

LMAO @ your kids reaction!!!

Grassy said...

lol when i don't remember someone's name i just apologize and tell them i don't remember who they are. they usually laugh and will reintroduce themselves to me and usually after that i don't forget who they are lol.

KAP said...

Try mnemonics, the stupider the better: somebody named Teresa tells you about her kids, voila Mother Teresa. Use their name 27 times when you first meet them, sometimes it sticks.

I'm still terrible with names. On the bright side, pretty good with faces and almost never forget what they drink (a must for bartending).