Monday, January 26, 2009

Iron Chamorro Chef


Since Floyd and I decided to leave island, I've been using some of my free time to brush up on my Chamorro cooking skills. The most recent dish I tried to make was chicken chalakilis. I've got to admit that I didn't make it the traditional way and resorted to the "semi-homemade" way of making it. Hey man, I got the approval from my auntie Cel, who is like the head cook in our family and she makes the best dishes EVER!

So my first try with chalakilis was not so bad. The taste was there, but I didn't get the right consistency. It's supposed to be a semi-thick soup, but for some odd reason, it turned out too thick that I had to keep adding water. My second try was even worse because the consistency was so super thick, you would think I was making tamales gisu! Instead of beating myself up about it, I started laughing and figured WOW! at least I'm on the right track to making tamales gisu, LOL!


I'm really going to miss all the good food my family makes. Even something as simple as barbeque chicken, ribs and red rice seems to be the best when my family makes it. We are mostly cooks in my family so (almost) anything that they make, will make my tummy happy! I shall keep you all posted on my progress each time I make (or attempt to) make a Chamorro dish. STAY TUNED.

3 comments:

Deece said...

I am terrible at making local dishes. I'm not that great at non-local dishes, either. Lol!. I tried to make red rice in the states once. Yuck!

plumeria*girl said...

Oh I could teach you just by sending you the instructions. Believe me, if my friend in Hawaii can do it without any problems (and without lack of flavor), then you can do it, too! I BELIEVE IN YOU DEECE!!! LOL!

Deece said...

Thanks Polly! I will think of your words of encouragement next time I attempt a local dish. :o)