Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Chinchule's Rules of Order

We’ve had so many weddings in our family lately (every 6 months!) and everyone knows that when you attend a wedding, your wedding gift would most likely be the notorious CHINCHULE. But who do we give it to?

I recently had a discussion with my cousin about the “rules of order” for chinchule. I notice that at some weddings, people give chinchule to the parents of the newlyweds, and some give it directly to the newlyweds. But why??? I always thought you gave your wedding gift directly to the newlyweds. OMG! What happens if both the parents and the newlyweds pay for the wedding? Well, I guess I’ll have to split that chinchule in two….oh wait, but which set of parents get the chinchule? The bride’s parents or the groom’s parents?

I’ve searched high and low, and even the great Tun Yoda and Obi-Juan cannot tell me why. After much discussion with my cousin, we both agreed that whoever pays for the wedding will get 100% of the chinchule. Otherwise, it gets split up. I was happy with that decision. But is that the correct one?

All those in favor of giving the chinchule to the person(s) who pay for the wedding, say ‘aye’, all opposed say ‘nay’……

6 comments:

Bon said...

Doesn't it go to the couple starting their new life? Isn't the parent's payment, if they pay for the wedding a gift of love that doesn't require repayment? Unless you strap your parents down and force them to fork out the big bucks. complicated this thing is.

Wayne Pangelinan said...

I have a strong comment to that. The wedding whether paid for by the parent or couple themselves doesn't really matter. I agree with Boni in that the money or gift should go directly to the couple regardless of who paid. Parents/guardians who pay for weddings should fall under the gift of love, again as Boni states. I for one do not agree that this event become a money making, fast cash, I.O.U. type deal. The couple deserves the gift based on the new life they will have together and that is the purpose of the gift is to help them get started.

plumeria*girl said...

Bon & Wayne - you both have very valid points.

Why do people think throwing a party as a fundraiser for them? SHEESH!

WHERE'S THE LOVE??????? LOL!

Bon said...

Yeah, that's like saying Merry Christmas - now you owe me $150 for your present!

Grassy said...

i always believed that it should go to the couple because they are starting a new life that usually involves buying/building a new home and starting a family....if parents feel that they should be paid back for the money they spend on the wedding then they shouldn't get involved. besides it's not the amount of money spent or given that matters. we just need to remember the reason for this occasion and share our joy with newlyweds :)

plumeria*girl said...

WELL SAID GRASSY!!!