Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Everyone needs a little R&R

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU TOOK A VACATION? This was a question posed to me by my doctor. I started to think about it and realized that it was in April 2007 when Floyd and I went to Palau. That was truly a vacation for the both of us, and an enjoyable one, too! My doctor was still waiting for an answer from me. I told him that it has been over a year and he said that I needed a break because my headaches are beyond headaches. They were now migraines! I was shocked.







Rest & Relaxation...that's what my body was craving for, but I kept ignoring it. I couldn't believe that my doctor actually told me that I NEED to rest and relax...oh and re-charge. He recommended a couple of things to help me relax: sleep, get a massage, read a book, watch DVDs and exercise (when weather permits).



DOCTOR: "You need to relax and rest."
ME: "Ok, so when can I go back to work?"



That's when I knew I had a serious problem. Even my doctor was shocked with my question! I guess I can't help it. I'm a hard working person and have a lot of responsibilities. I don't like knowing that others are doing my work while I'm out of the office (even if it's for good reasons). But the doctor reminded me of his diagnosis and told me that stress was not good for your body.



ME: "But I can handle my stress, Doc!"
DOCTOR: "You think you do, but your body is telling me otherwise and you need to rest!"



OMG! Was I a workaholic?!? After analyzing what I do and how I do it, I realized that I was. Unfortunately, that was my realization that my greatest weaknesses in my career is balancing work and personal life. I had to quit bringing work home and checking work e-mail from home. Quitting time was 5:00pm Monday-Friday and I had to learn how to practice that. I have a fresh, new start on Monday morning (when I go back to work). It's going to be hard to kick the habit, but I am going to try...for the sake of my health and my sanity.

No comments: